Thursday, January 14, 2010

Maxwell John Remington
















(working on getting a photo with Daddy too)



Hi - Thanks to all of you whom have emailed, called, texted about Max. I thought a blog might be a great way to update everyone on how we are all doing. Sorry I haven't been able to get back to all of you. I've been a little overwhelmed!

To those of you who are just getting the news - - -

Max was born on 1/9/10 at 2:04 AM. My water broke last Friday morning at 5:30 AM. No explanation as to why. Since I was 34 weeks pregnant, they decided to go ahead and deliver him. After about 21 hours of labor, he finally decided to come into the world early on Saturday morning. It was a really LONG day for both of us. He weighed 5 lbs. 11 oz. and was 18 inches long. And - adorable! Lots of blonde hair and the cutest nose ever.

After delivery - - -

He was taken to the NICU right after delivery. He has been doing really well. He didn't have any breathing problems and was able to regulate his temperature after about a day. So, that leaves us with the feeding. He has an IV to get additional nutrients and fat, but has been steadily increasing his food intake. He needs to be able to take in enough food to take be able to remove the IV, which is what we have been working on now.

I was released from the hospital on Monday and have been spending about 7-9 hours a day at the NICU with him in addition to pumping every 2-3 hours to try and get my milk supply since he can't breast feed yet. So, it has been a long 5 days with very little sleep and a lot of back an forth to Presby Dallas.

Plus - - -

Max's daddy, Adam, got really sick yesterday. He has been in bed for 24 hours with a sore throat and feeling generally lousy. Please say a prayer for him and for me so that I don't get whatever he has. We can't see Max if we are sick, so Adam hasn't been able to see him since Tuesday. I'm really hoping to stay well. I don't know if I could take not being able to see him right now.

The good news - - -

We think that Max will be able to be released to Special Care in the next day or two. Special Care is what Adam referred to as a "halfway house for babies." It is a step between the NICU and going home. I can stay with him there in a regular room and they will start transitioning him from the monitors and to feeding completely by bottle or breast. I hope to stay well so that we can make that happen.

Which means off to bed for me! I need to get more rest in between the 3 hour "feedings." I'm starting to build quite the bond with the breast pump. I'm hoping Max can take over soon.

Say a prayer for all of us. It has been a long week, but we are making it through. Many of you have asked what you can do. Sorry I haven't had a good answer. It has been a whole new experience for me and I'm not really sure what we need. I can definitely use your prayers and understanding if I don't get back with you. Not being at home most of the day has made it hard to do anything other than being with Max.

I'll try to keep the blog updated with any new developments. Hopefully we'll have him in Special Care and on his way home in the next day or two.

Love,

Paige, Adam & Max

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Paige! When Dylan was born, he had to go to the NICU because his lungs were not ready. He stayed 17 days before he could come home. Leaving him at the hospital was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but the nurses were awesome and had him on a great schedule! Once Max starts eating on his own, he will be home before you know it. I have been praying for you, Max and your wonderful family. I am so happy for you and Adam. Your lives have changed so much in the last week, and before long you will wonder what you ever did without that beautiful gift from god! Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are blogging to keep us updated! We'll be thinking about you. Lots of love,
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to be a wonderful mom. I am ecstatic about being an uncle. Maxwell John is adorable.

    Love, Alex

    ReplyDelete